BarnOwl 1.8 release notes
The BarnOwl Developers are pleased to announce the release of BarnOwl
It has been installed in the Athena locker, and you can download it
from the website  or get the source from Github . BarnOwl 1.8
contains various bug fixes and new features, including:
* Text saved to the kill buffer with C-k now persists globally among
all edit windows.
* Various cross-realm fixes, notably fields on cross-realm outgoing
messages are set correctly.
* The default style now decorates unauthenticated zephyrgrams with the
* Non-CC'd personals with multiple recipients now generate multiple
outgoing messages in the message list, thanks to new developer DD
* Zephyr variables 'exposure' and 'default_exposure' have been added
to manipulate zephyr visibility.
* Using more than 256 foreground/background color pairs in 256-color
mode no longer causes drawing artifacts.
* The sepbar now shows how far you are in a truncated message.
* Our custom event loop has been replaced with GLib's implementation.
This buys us better interoperability with third-party code, some
thread-safety, and an event loop we don't have to write ourselves.
* AnyEvent (and thus the vast body of AnyEvent-based code on CPAN)
is now available to perl modules. The existing timer and
io-dispatch APIs now backend onto it.
* The IRC module has been ported to AnyEvent::IRC which, among other
things, is not abandoned. The new module also fixes the
long-standing reconnect bug.
* Logging is now delegated to a background thread. This should greatly
improve responsiveness, especially for those on an AFS home
* A new delete-and-expunge command (delx for short) has been added for
perl modules that wish to remove a message.
The full Changelog is available online .
Thank you for using BarnOwl, and we hope you enjoy the new release. As
usual, any bug reports, questions, or feature requests can be directed
to the developers at <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
- David Benjamin
for the BarnOwl developers