Opened 10 years ago

Closed 10 years ago

Last modified 10 years ago

#105 closed defect

BarnOwl-to-other-AIM-client encoding problem

Reported by: zhangc@mit.edu Owned by: nelhage@mit.edu
Priority: major Milestone:
Component: internals Keywords:
Cc:

Description

There seems to be a bug with the BarnOwl-AIM interface, although I haven't really figured out whether this BarnOwl's or AIM's fault.

I sent a set of test messages (img1) from one client to another (set of clients: BarnOwl v1.3, GMail AIM client, Pidgin v2.4.2).

Sending messages from BarnOwl to the GMail AIM client:
Test message #0 (TM0) returns the input
TM1 returns nothing
TM2 returns the input
TM3 returns nothing
TM4 returns "<"
TM5 returns an empty line
TM6 returns line 1 of img2
TM7 returns lines 2 and 3 of img2
TM8 returns line 4 of img2
TM9 returns line 5 of img2

Sending messages from BarnOwl to Pidgin:
TM0 returns the input
TM1 returns an empty line
TM2 returns the input
TM3 returns the input
TM4 returns "<"
TM5 returns line 1 of img3
TM6 returns line 2 of img3
TM7 returns line 3 of img3
TM8 returns line 4 of img3
TM9 returns line 5 of img3

Sending messages from the GMail AIM client *OR* Pidgin to BarnOwl:
TM0 returns the input
TM1 returns the input
TM2 returns the input
TM3 returns the input
TM4 returns the input
TM5 returns the input
TM6 returns "&#4e2d;&#6587;"
TM7 returns "&#65e5;&#672c;&#8a9e;&#3068;&#3072;&#3089;&#304c;&#306a;"
TM8 returns "&#c0ac;&#b791;"
TM9 returns the input
(These are not actually escaped HTML entities, although s/#/#x/ results in readable HTML entities.)

Sending/receiving between Pidgin and the GMail AIM client always returns the input.

Change History (6)

comment:1 Changed 10 years ago by zhangc@mit.edu

My images don't seem to want to be uploaded, so I've put them in my Public for the time being: web/zhangc/Public/barnowl/

comment:2 Changed 10 years ago by nelhage@mit.edu

I believe I have this fixed on the 'unicode-fixes' branch (sending and receiving to both pidgin and gmail now work for me), and this should be fixed in the next release.

comment:3 Changed 10 years ago by nelhage@mit.edu

  • Status changed from new to assigned

comment:4 Changed 10 years ago by nelhage@mit.edu

Hm. I realized I haven't tested the HTML meta-character ones, only the unicode ones. Presumably we also need to be doing HTML escaping on outgoing messages, as well, I'll get to that and test it sometime as well.

comment:5 Changed 10 years ago by nelhage@mit.edu

  • Status changed from assigned to closed

comment:6 Changed 10 years ago by nelhage@mit.edu

The unicode issue was fixed elsewhere. I'll open a new ticket about the HTML escaping.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.